Thursday, June 29, 2006

WSOP and Le Cordon Bleu

My dream is to go to both. One will be a reality and one will probably remain a dream. Can you guess which one? Read on...

In case you don't know, Le Cordon Bleu is the finest culinary school in the world. They have branches in Paris, London and Ottawa and the best of the best go there. Hell, it's where Julia Child began her culinary career in order to feed her new husband while they were stationed in Paris. I have no aspirations to become a professional chef but it's always been a dream to go there and learn. Drumroll....and I am! Yes, next February I turn 40 and am enrolling in a 4 day bread baking course at the original Paris school as a birthday present to myself. My brother who also has a passion for cooking is going with me and I'm really looking forward to it. Good bread is as good as it gets when it comes to food. Give me a loaf of crusty bread, some cheese and a nice glass of bordeaux and I'm in culinary bliss. If I can fund a portion of my trip with poker winnings all the better. I'm the Poker Chef damnit!

That's one goal down and one to go. The other is the WSOP main event. I came oh so close about a month ago in a frequent player point tourney on stars where 1st place got a $12,000 package and everybody else got squat. I made it to the final table as the chip leader and we played down to 7 players when the following hand happened:

UTG is now the Chip leader with about 115,000 in chips and I'm 2nd in chips with about 90,000. Blinds are something like 1,500 - 3,000 and UTG raises to 12,000. I pick up QQ on the button and pop it up to 30,000. UTG calls and we see a flop that comes down K x x. UTG pushes. What do you do here? If I call and win I'm the huge chip leader and to me that's very important because only 1st cashes. I called...and lost. Yes, he had AK and I busted out 7th. Of all the hands I've lost playing poker this is the only one that haunts me. I realize that getting into the main event via a FPP satellite is a real long shot and I probably blew my only chance.

There is the huge 150 guaranteed seat tourney on Stars July 16th. If there is a large enough overlay I may consider ponying up the $370 buy-in for a last shot of glory.

Played a little NL cash and a turbo(which I won) and won a whopping $4.65. I've been treading water lately and am really ready for a nice run.

This weekend I'll be unpacking all my books and will begin reviewing ALL the cookbooks in my collection. Stay tuned...

Bankroll update: $207.38

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home