Saturday, June 17, 2006

Grinding through the low limits

Yes, I'm a degenerate low limit poker player. I started playing online poker about a year ago and have primarily played $.50-$1 through $2-4 limit and have played a ton of $5 and $10 sit-n-go's. I've also played a number of MTT's and have a pretty good record in those. So for the past year I've got about 26,000 hands of limit in Poker Tracker for a profit of $1,200 and I'm up about another $300 in SNG's. For me, not too shabby but compared to others it's barely a pip on the radar. Of course I work full time and have a wife and 2 kids so my poker playing is limited to when the family is sleeping.

I think one of my strengths as a poker player is my ability to avoid tilting. It's easy to tilt when you're playing limit and build huge pots with big draws only to see them not come in a dozen times in a row. Or when you continually get outdrawn by calling stations who should never be in the pot in the first place. One way I avoid tilting is mixing up limit and no limit games. I'll play limit exclusively for a month or so but when I get close to the tilt limit (which is also caused by burnout) I'll switch exclusively to NL SNG's with the occasional MTT thrown in. When these get stale I switch back to limit. By doing this it keeps the game fresh and I make better decisions.

As for sites I play on, I only play on Stars and Party. I prefer Stars in every way except for the loose, passive fish that permeate Party. Hey, money's money so I'll follow the fish.

Hmm, what kind of player am I? More to come in later posts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home